Lawsuit filed for nine of the men detained on the morning of the demolition of houses in Cooper’s Pen, Trelawny
Lawsuit filed for nine of the men detained on the morning of the demolition of houses in Cooper’s Pen, Trelawny – IRIE FM
August 17, 2026
Written bySugar Ray Thomas

A lawsuit has been filed for nine of the men who were detained on the morning of the demolition of houses in Cooper’s Pen, Trelawny.
Attorney Donnovan Collins, whose law firm is handling the proceedings, says the legal documents were filed today.
The individuals are seeking damages for, among other things, false imprisonment and breaches of their constitutional rights.
Speaking with IRIE FM News, he says the documents were also served on the Attorney General’s Offices.
https://iriefm.net/wp-content/uploads/2026/08/CLAIM-FORM-FILED-1.mp3
Mr. Collins says the claims for the other individuals will be filed this week.
Initially, more than 30 men had shown interest in filing a lawsuit against the state.
https://iriefm.net/wp-content/uploads/2026/08/CLAIM-FORMS-FILED-2.mp3
Meanwhile, Mr. Collins notes that many of the men appear to have lost trust in the system, but he has sought to reassure them that there will be no repeat of what happened last week.
https://iriefm.net/wp-content/uploads/2026/08/CLAIM-FORMS-FILED-3.mp3
Trending News
Related News
Police charge one man in relation to brawl at beach party in St. Ann; his lawyer claims he...
Health Minister says rapid expansion of health care facilities in St. Catherine will reduc...
JCTU Board accepts tentative wage agreement for public-sector workers
