August 17, 2026
Written byClement Reid

The water prohibition orders which were announced last week by portfolio Minister Matthew Samuda are to take effect today.
According to his ministry, the decision followed a high-level stakeholder meeting with the National Water Commission (NWC) and the Met Service which confirmed that rainfall levels remain critically low and temperatures continue to soar.
The prohibition orders will apply to Kingston, St. Andrew, St. Thomas, St. Mary, Portland, St. Ann and St. Catherine.
They will remain in force until further notice.
Under the orders, no person shall use or cause water supplied by the NWC to be used for nonessential purposes.
Prohibited activities include irrigation or watering of gardens, lawns, grounds and farms; refilling or supplying of ponds or swimming pools; washing of vehicles with the use of a hose; watering or washing of roadways, pavements, paths, garages or outrooms; or any activity requiring excessive or unusual quantities of water.
NWC said water should only be used for normal domestic services such as drinking, cooking, washing, bathing and sanitation.
According to Mr. Samuda, offenders will be fined $1,000 or face 30 days in prison.
However, Mr. Samuda said he has written to the Minister of Justice and all associations related to the legislative process to allow for fines of up to $1.5 million.
https://iriefm.net/wp-content/uploads/2026/08/SAMUDA-1-AUG-16-28.mp3
Trending News
Related News
St. Andrew South Police record 144% clear-up rate for murders so far this year
Opposition Leader labels Trelawny resident displacement a ‘humanitarian calamity’
Samuels says there’s greater mistrust among British people about integrity of their judg...